25 July 2007

I Feel Like I'm on Speed, but I Should be Sleeping

So, it’s 1 am, which I guess means it’s Wednesday, but I’m still thinking of it as Tuesday, since I haven’t slept yet. For some reason, I’m all hyped up. I’m pretty proud of myself. I worked crazy hard today and got our front porch floor, rail, and columns repainted. It looks really good, and will look even nicer when I put our freshly painted furniture back on it. This floor paint stuff is crazy, though. It takes like 24 hours before you can even set foot on it, then it’s 72 hours before it’s ready for normal use. Normal wall paint dries completely to the touch in just a few hours. This stuff was still a little tacky after 6 hours today! Kinda nuts.

Have I mentioned that we’re joining the Peace Corps? Lori turned her application in on Sunday, so it’s pretty much official. If they’ll take us, we’re in. I’m guessing we’ll be setting up interviews and getting the process rolling for real in the next 2-3 weeks. We’re starting to look at selling the house, so that we’re not tied down by it. We’re hoping to be headed out sometime next spring/summer. Kinda crazy.

In other news, Lori’s dad is getting remarried next weekend (August 5), so I’m planning on trip to SD on two weeks notice. More kinda crazy.

I’ve been thinking about this 20-30 year old period. Lori and I have a bunch of friends who are just coming out of it and really getting established in what they’re doing. I feel like we’re on the opposite end of that: really just getting started in figuring out what the rest of our lives might have as a trajectory. I’m excited, but it also feels like it’s a lot of hard work, and it’s so socially awkward at times. I feel like I’m an adolscent again. Then it was zits, growing pains, being a bit clumsy, and not knowing how to impress girls. Now it’s feeling unsure of how to adapt to being an adult: making my own decisions, being responsible for my own finances, interacting in general in the ‘adult’ world.

It’s interesting. The first period (adolescent) is mostly biological and organic, very little of it is human-constructed. This socially-awkward time of change, however, seems almost entirely a social construction based on the adult/child divide, and various responsibilities our society has decided that we should take on at various times. I wonder what less constricted and defined growth into social responsibility/maturity would look like.

1 comment:

Janira said...

i randomly came across this when i typed in "I feel like I'm on speed" in google. i totally agree with your blog and think that if we all didn't look at life as a path to be followed and instead one to be created we'd be much happier. Do what you love and it will work out for you. I hope you got into the Peace Corps.