07 December 2007

thoughts on gitmo

Yes, I have been a great sluggard and slacker of a blogger. It's been crazy lately. The new job at Auto-Owners is starting to feel good. I enjoy what I do, and lori and I are starting to adjust to the new schedule with me working full-time. The last few weeks have been especially crazy. Lori's grandma passed away the Sunday before Thanksgiving, so we were out to South Dakota from Sunday until Wednesday. Then we came back, because lori's mom was supposed to visiting us from SD for Thanksgiving. It was kinda funny because she dropped us off on Wednesday to head from SD to Lansing, and then we picked her up in Flint on Thursday and went to two family Thanksgivings, went shopping on Friday, and hung out around the house with lori's mom the rest of the weekend. All of this was generally a good time, but it's been stressful for lori. Between the running around and all the emotional processing, she's been had a full plate.

In other news, we signed up for a membership at the YMCA. They have this sweet facility about 10 minutes from us that was built in 2003. We've really enjoyed being able to work out there, since we aren't going to be as active outside as we were in the nicer weather months.

I read an article from the BBC News about the guy at Guantanamo who tried to slit his throat with his own sharpened fingernail. Reports say that he has been confined there for 6 years without charges brought against him. I forget exactly who, but one of the military folks in charge at Gitmo told the BBC that these inmates make these attempts to hurt themselves in order to discredit the US military and goverment. Now that is about the stupidest and vilest thing I have hear in a long time. Stupid because I find it hard to imagine that folks commit suicide just to discredit anything or anyone. That, at best, is only a partial explanation of the pain, anguish, and misery that must go into such a decision, if it is any explanation at all. It is vile because it dehumanizes the person who has injured themselves. This man's comment took an action which undoubtedly was far more complex and human than just an attempt to discredit the US.

If we would like to continue to fight battles of anger, hate, and misunderstanding, against people who will bear the same things towards us, then I think that this man's comments are an excellent strategy. Unfortunately, I think we have seen the results throughout history of these kinds of conflicts: blood, famine, suffering, enslavement, rape, pillage, and misery.

I believe that there is a different path. It may sound like pussyfooting, or ignoring danger, but I think that the most effective path to end these conflicts is to appreciate others in their full humanity, even if they don't appreciate themselves. If we dehumanize these folks, then we encourage them by our view of them, to continue to act inhumanely. If we give them a gift of understanding that feeds and nourishes their deeper seeds of humanity, then we will encourage those seeds to grow instead of hate and anger. I believe that all terrorists and enemies should be extended this love and understanding. I believe that by doing this we have the greatest potential to disarm their anger and their hatred, and because of our love and understanding in doing so, turn them, and future generations of their kin, into friends and allies. It may seem easier to overpower and destroy them, but that will not destroy the anger and hatred. It will grow anger and hatred in us, as we act on those seeds in ourselves. It will also encourage the growth of anger and hatred in our enemies, likely turning those that we keep under our thumbs, or the friends and kindred of those we destroy into enemies. There is only one way to peace, and that is through practicing peace. You cannot make lemonade with oranges, and you cannot expect to squeeze a lemon and get orange juice. If we seek peace, then we must seek and act on the peace within ourselves in order to achieve it. We must also realize that if we seek and use the anger and hatred within ourselves, we will reap anger and hatred.

So yeah, when I hear things like that guy said it really upsets me. I grieve for the dehumanizing treatment of a human being, no matter what they have done or been accused of doing. I grieve that our country plants seeds of hatred, anger, and fear. I grieve that we continue to act on our own hatred, anger, and fear. I also read this and realize that I need to practice what I preach. This military man and his hand-waving comments make me angry. And yet, if I stop that anger and try to understand why he would say such a thing, I might see differently. I wonder if he is afraid. Has he met this man before? What has their interaction been like? Is he disgusted by him, annoyed by him, or afraid of him? I wonder what he afraid he will lose because of terrorists acts of hatred and anger. What is it about the US that he loves and is afraid could be discredited by this man's actions? Is he afraid that he will lose his job if we treat his prisoners as I have suggested? What does he feel pressured to accomplish in his position at Gitmo? What superiors does he have to answer to and how does that effect how he regards his prisoners? I guess I won't get answers to those questions without the opportunity to talk to this fellow. I am glad I have done the exercise of asking the questions, though. My anger has less power now; I can feel the change. Instead, I do feel a desire to understand this man, to hope that by doing so, I can allow him to transform his own negative seeds and treat his prisoners more humanely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.